Pakistan vows all-out support for Afghanistan earthquake victims
- Pakistan extends “complete solidarity” with quake victims.
- Govt in contact with Afghanistan for first-hand assessment of needs.
- FO deems loss of life and widespread damage to property “tragic”.
As Afghanistan’s western regions suffered devastating loss in the wake of multiple earthquakes, Pakistan said it will extend “all possible support” to the recovery efforts for the victims.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the Foreign Office mentioned the Pakistan’s government was in contact with Afghan authorities to conduct a first-hand assessment to evaluate the urgent requirements of the Afghans struck by the natural calamity.
The FO also expressed “complete solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Afghanistan during this difficult time”.
The FO also expressed sadness over the loss of lives and damage after a powerful earthquake struck the western regions of Afghanistan a day earlier.
“The Government and people of Pakistan are deeply saddened by the devastating earthquake in Western regions of Afghanistan yesterday, resulting in tragic loss of life and widespread damage to property,” the FO said in a statement.
The Foreign Affairs Ministry also extended its sincerest condolences to the families of those who lost their loved ones, praying for the early and complete recovery of those who were injured in the wake of the natural calamity.
Over 2,000 die in Afghanistan quakes
As many as 2,053 people have been killed as a result of violent earthquakes that struck Afghanistan late Saturday while 9,240 people have been injured, a government spokesperson confirmed to Reuters today.
The death toll from the earthquakes, which was previously reported to be 120, is expected to rise as rescue operations are still underway in the affected areas.
“Unfortunately, the casualties are practically very high,” deputy government spokesman Bilal Karimi said early Sunday, as the extent of the damage became clear.
Additionally, 1,328 houses were flattened after eight powerful aftershocks from the magnitude 6.3 earthquake shook the region 30 kilometres northwest of Herat and terrified city people to flee into the streets.
According to Mosa Ashari, Herat disaster management head, late Saturday there had been “about 120” fatalities reported and “more than 1,000 injured women, children, and old citizens”.
A spokesman for the National Disaster Authority said they expect the death toll “to rise very high”.