Chhath Puja 2023: Nahay Khay Date, Rituals, Puja Samagri, Do’s & Don’ts and Wishes to Share – News18
Published By: Nibandh Vinod
Last Updated: November 16, 2023, 06:30 IST
Chhath Puja is one of the biggest festivals in Bihar, Jharkhand, and eastern Uttar Pradesh. It is dedicated to the Sun God and is an ancient tradition that lasts four days, with fasting from sunrise to sunset. The Suryodaya (Sunrise) and Suryast (Sunset) timings hold immense significance for the devotees who observe a strict fast.
The festivities commence with Nahay Khay, which falls on the Chaturthi Tithi of Kartik Shukla Paksha, followed by Kharna on the Panchami Tithi, Chhath Puja on Sashti, and Usha Arghya on Saptami Tithi. This year, Nahay Khay rituals will be performed on November 17.
Chhath Puja 2023: Sunrise, Sunset Time
- Sunset Time on Friday, November 17: 5:50 PM
- Sunrise Time on Monday, November 20: 06:20 AM
Nahay Khay 2023: Rituals
On the first day of Chhath Puja, those fasting wake up early to worship Lord Surya before eating. This marks the beginning of the 4-day long fasting period. People dress nicely, fast, and prepare chana dal and pumpkin rice as prasad for the Sun god.
Nahay Khay 2023: Puja Samagri
- Cotton Balls
- Ganga Jal
- Lord Surya Idol
- Lord Ganesha Idol
- Kumkum (Roli)
- Khajur (Date)
- Paan (Betal Leafs)
- Puja Thali
- Red Sandal (Laal Chandan)
- Red Cloth
- Rice (Chawal/Akshat)
- Supari (Betal Nuts)
- Vrat Katha Book
- White Flowers
Nahay Khay 2023: Do’s and Don’ts
- The day following Diwali marks the beginning of Chhath Puja preparations, as devoted worshippers embrace the consumption of exclusively Satvik food and avoid eating onion, garlic and other non-veg items.
- On Nahay Khay, devotees begin their day by cleaning their entire house. It’s essential to uphold cleanliness and hygiene throughout the festival.
- Devotees only eat after taking a bath early in the morning. After that, they prepare prasad.
- For cooking, use freshly bought or thoroughly cleaned ingredients like rice, beans, and vegetables. Avoid mixing them with anything previously eaten or handled with dirty hands.
- Prasad is made using rock salt, and the food is strictly satvik.
- After offering it to the Sun god and Chatthi Maiya, the person observing the fast eats the prasad first and then shares it with other family members.
- Offer milk and water to Lord Surya, and the Prasad to Chhathi Mata. Don’t forget to listen to the Chatth Puja vrat katha at night.
Nahay Khay 2023: 10 Wishes And Messages
- On Chhath Puja, wish you and your family good health, wealth, peace, and prosperity. Happy Nahay Khay!
- May your life be filled with joy and success. May the bright rays of the Sun God bring warmth and light to your days. Happy Nahay Khay!
- May the positivity of Chhath Puja radiate throughout your life, bringing success and glory. Happy Nahay Khay!
- On the auspicious occasion of Nahay Khay, may this Chhath Puja herald the commencement of a life filled with prosperity and success for you.
- Wishing you abundant blessings and love on the auspicious occasion of Chhath Puja. Happy Nahay Khay!
- May the blessings of Sun God and Chhathi Maiya be upon you. Happy Nahay Khay!
- This Chhath Puja, may the blessings of Chhat Mata and Surya Devta shower upon you. Happy Nahay Khay!
- On this Chhath occasion, let’s pray to Lord Surya for blessings in our lives and happiness in our homes. Happy Nahay Khay to you!
- Chhath Puja is all about sincere devotion, faith, perseverance, and personal belief. Happy Nahay Khay to you and your family.
- May this auspicious occasion of Chhath Puja bring new hopes and opportunities to light up your life. Happy Nahay Khay!