Punjab power consumers using up to 500 units to get govt-sponsored solar panels

Punjab power consumers using up to 500 units to get govt-sponsored solar panels

Workers install solar panels in a residential area. — Reuters/File
  • Punjab govt aims to tackle energy crisis with “Roshan Gharana”.
  • Solar panels to be provided in easy installments of five years.
  • 90% of cost to be borne by govt as 10% to be settled by consumers.

LAHORE: In a bid to provide cheap electricity to inflation-hit masses, Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz-led government approved the “Roshan Gharana” programme under which solar panels will be provided to millions of citizens consuming between 50 to 500 units of electricity.

The development came during the provincial cabinet meeting chaired by CM Maryam in Lahore on Monday, according to an official statement.

This initiative taken by the provincial government aims to promote sustainable energy solutions, as 90% of the cost of the solar panels will be borne by the government, whereas, the remaining 10% will be settled by the consumers. 

Notably, the solar panels will be provided to the consumers in easy installments of five years.

The Punjab CM summoned a cabinet meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) to formally approve ‘Roshan Gharana’ programme of providing solar panels to the people. 

The official statement said as per user’s needs, ratio between government electricity and the power obtained from solar system would be determined.

The provincial government decided to execute this programme in order to tackle the dilemmas of rising cost of electricity and energy crises. 

Following the transparent procedure, most underprivileged and poorest households will be provided with the solar panels first.

Along with describing the benefits of this initiative including eco-friendly energy sources during the meeting, CM Maryam said: “ We will not leave our people alone during difficult times. We are trying to protect our people from the effects of the past destruction.”

Highlighting the probable change that may be created in the lives of masses due to this programme, she added: “ People will not have to face the present issues after five years.”

Source link


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *